Sunday, May 30, 2010

Misunderstandings

Many times I believe galleries and curators don't know how to read paintings. People in general like paintings that resemble other famous work that deal with similar themes that they have seen before. Well my work is different, I believe many don't understand most of my paintings, for example my work called "Lets light it up" is very significant to me, although many don't know why. I'm tired of these misunderstandings
I started painting this work in a format that only appears in religious art called triptych, this has origins in early medieval predominately German christian art. This work I did five years ago with colour red and it shows mainly dependency on oil. the urgency of our struggle to survive is our hope for better future. I borrowed the logo of a Fuel-man that is proudly hanging at many gas stations, then I elaborated on this and made two other panels from each side.The Fuelman is us, or rather people who find them selves between extreme people that own oil wells and general oil industries. Indian who is presented with the robot on the right in this case is really a metaphor for other people from Middle East who are perceived as wild men and in the minds of Texans primitive. They are both trying to light their cigarettes while pumping gas, while looking very menacing and ready for a duel. Hence the title "Lets light it up".












And we are just stuck in this vortex of surviving trough the system that lets us charge it on our nice plastic credit card...

No comments:

Post a Comment